ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday's visitor, other recruiting notes

John Di Carlo

OwlScoop.com Editor
Oct 1, 2001
Temple hosted DeShaun Wade, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound shooting guard from The Miller School on an unofficial visit yesterday. Wade is a class of 2018 recruit who had previously signed with ECU but got released from his LOI with the coaching change there.

I don't know if Temple has offered, but it is worth noting that Wade is teammates with 4-star Temple target Aundre Hyatt, who's currently ranked No. 62 in the 2019 class. Just an educated guess here, but maybe Aaron McKie sees an opportunity to take Wade, develop him for a year while he sits behind players like Shizz Alston, Nate Pierre-Louis, Quinton Rose, J.P. Moorman and Dre Perry and then hope that taking him also helps their chances with Hyatt, a player they like a lot.

To be clear, no one has told me that's the reason they brought in Wade yesterday, but if you're going for a late 2018 pickup who could help you in another year, this wouldn't be a bad approach, and it's something Temple hasn't really done much of in the past.

I haven't seen Wade play, but this is the scouting report I got from Brian Flinn from Elevate Hoops:

"I saw him running with Felton (AAU) last spring. Good, not great. Has the build for that level but needs to be more productive. Shouldn’t be a guy in year one, but maybe over the four years ends up rounding into a nice player."

A source I spoke with today said the staff still likes a few players right now and is still working through things. Kennesaw State transfer James Scott is still a high priority. If Scott leaves his Virginia Tech visit this weekend without committing, that could be perceived as a good sign for Temple. According to this story in the Roanoke Times, it looks like Tech would have to make room for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News