ADVERTISEMENT

Analyzing the penalties

John Di Carlo

OwlScoop.com Editor
Oct 1, 2001
As you all know, 12 penalties totaling 117 yards hurt Temple in yesterday's loss.

Head coach Geoff Collins put the blame on himself. Offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude said he doesn't think it comes from a lack of discipline.

“There’s never going to be a lack of discipline in a Geoff Collins program," Temple's first-year offensive coordinator said. "These are the things that happen when you have a younger group of guys that are out there. A lot of them are doing this for the first time.”

I went back and charted the penalties. The only one for which I did not get a name was an offside call on a kickoff.

I can tell you that at least half of the 12 penalties were committed by either redshirt juniors or redshirt seniors, so that's coming from guys who have been in college football for four or five years. The facemask penalties on Artrel Foster and Mike Jones gave UConn 30 yards on a touchdown drive, and three of the flags came on special teams. And the targeting penalty on Sharif Finch, which was a clear call, led to Finch's ejection from the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News