ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts from the Press Conference and film study:

Tannhauser

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2002
South Hawthorne area of South Philadelphia
Pat Kraft is a dynamo! While I still prefer stability, as is my personality, but will concede that Dr. Kraft is driven to greatness that I’m currently skeptical of. This guy has a vision, and, obviously O’Brien and Bradshaw PALE in comparison.

I was impressed with Coach Diaz and his young family. I’d expected the normal boilerplate clap-trap, and it was there, it had to be. However, I was surprised with the detail he provided with offensive (run heavy interspersed with chunk passing plays, power running in the red zone) and defense [along with my own film study] (generally a two deep, tight man, with occasional blitzes/delays/fire zones) schemes.

Still early, but three possible tells:

He went out of his way to praise Coach Foley’s enthusiasm and shortly thereafter described what he wants out of his coaching staff, which seemed to describe Foley.

His description of scouting, 3 hour drive, might bode well for Fran Brown.

[On that note, he gave the impression that he didn’t have plans on bringing a lot of U of M coaches with him and that he’d be interested in feeling out the current staff. Of course, many of these guys will be in Atlanta by January]

He showed more openness than Coach Collins, more along the lines of Matt Rhule, who gave about as much information in his pressers as was responsible.

Clear as a bell he renewed Temple’s commitment to all our recruits. I liked that a lot.

I’m glad he stated “The Turnover Chain” was a Miami thing. We already have a turnover chain, it’s called our Head Coach.

Thoughts about the transition in philosophies:

On Offense, we should be fine at QB with either Russo (big arm) or Centino (runner).

RB is a big concern. Gardner/Jennings/Raynor aren’t exactly Bell Cows. Could Re’Mahn Davis be the guy? Built like a fire plug with surprising stop and start.

OL almost completely in tact with Isaac Moore replacing Jaelin Robinson, should be some amount of shuffling. No idea if he favors a zone or man blocking scheme, most teams use both anyway. Good size along the line should be fine for a run heavy offense.

WR looks deep and talented with Wright/Ryan/Blue/Johnson/Jones/Mack. While Mack is a go to X, the rest of these kids are definite firecrackers!

I’ll hold off on TE until a TU coach begins to throw to them.

On Defense, depth is the major concern up front inside. A front four of Roche/Mesday outside and Archibong/Dioubate should be impressive. Kelly and Levine can back up outside, but I was not impressed with Ifeanyi Maijeh in the little I saw of him. I’m not entirely sure who’s going to spell the starters inside.

Sam Franklin could become a super star in this system! He’s already a hybrid LB/S, and that’s going to be a really useful tool for Coach Diaz’s scheme. Shaun Bradley hasn’t been the greatest blitzer, he might not benefit from this. Kwenku/Graham-Mobley/Isaacs all have a shot to claim one or two starting spots. (I wonder if Bradley might be the solution at RB?)

CB should be fine with Linwood Crump and Christian Braswell both very comfortable with tight man coverage. Ty Mason and Kimere Brown looked good in limited play.

Safety, that’s a big concern. Not only are we losing Delvon Randall and Jyquis Thomas, but if Coach Diaz sticks with a two deep, I don’t see Benny Wells as being fast enough to thrive in this system. Maybe Keyvon Burton or George Reid will benefit from this, there’s just too little tape to know. This is why Sam Franklin could be a player to watch, as if he wasn’t already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News