ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years AAC football conference schedule.

It is way too early to predict next years record partially because of not knowing which 'western' division teams we will be playing. I think NJ Owl already posted that there will not be any permanent cross-division rivals. The most likely scenario is that each team will play 3 teams from the other division on a home & home basis and then rotate after 2 years. I have a suspicion that the Conference feels somewhat responsible for our bowl omission and just may give us a break on the cross division games next year. Wishful thinking??? Maybe.

We know we will be playing UConn, ECU, UCF, Cinci, & finally USF. If I was to take an educated guess, I would say we will get SMU, Tulsa OR Tulane and one other. My guess would be Navy although I'm not looking forward to facing the option again. Phil Sow probably agrees with me on that. Predicting what a specific team will do from one year to the next is difficult to gauge -- witness Memphis, and we don't which teams were senior laden. With that kind of schedule, I think 7 wins is distinctly possible and if everything breaks right, maybe 8.

Houston

Perhaps lost in the midst of us not going to a bowl game is the news that Houston (which is going) fired their coach yesterday.

Now, before somebody reads something else into this post, it is NOT my intention to erect a tent or start the campfire for the "Fire Rhule" camp. While I am disappointed in this season, I recognize it on the whole as an improvement. Some particular aspects a step backward, yes, but in sum total, improvement.

ARMSTEAD & ATOKI

Watch their videos and you can see great athleticism from both players. They are both listed as ATHLETES.

Ryquell Armstead from Millville High has breakaway speed and would probably be best suited for RB.

Jeremiah Atoki of Vineland High looks like he could be a stud WR. He's big, strong, fast and can catch and block. He could probably be a TE with some dedicated work in the weight room. He could also play OLB/rush end or safety. He hits hard and he's fast.

I hope both of these kids qualify because they would be two nice additions to the team next year.
This post was edited on 12/10 10:21 PM by freemzy

Recruiting note

As Matt Rhule mentioned, several of the coaches are out on the road this week.

Adam DiMichele is out in Pittsburgh and western PA and made a stop this morning at Montour High School. One of the players he's recruiting is offensive tackle Mike Arnold (I've linked his junior film to this post). Pitt, Penn State, Virginia and Old Dominion have also been in to see him.

Mike Arnold

Final defensive stats rankings

Fumbles recovered: Tied for #1 in the country with FIU with 19.

Blocked kicks: Tied for #2 in the country with 5.

Defensive TDs: Tied for #2 in the country with 6. Washington lead with 7.

Scoring D: #6 in the country @ 17.5 PPG. Memphis was #5 and first in the AAC @ 17.1 PPG. 1-4 are Ole Miss, Stanford, LSU and Alabama.

Red Zone D: #13 in the country (interestingly, only 5th in the AAC), tied for #2 in fewest RZ passing TDs allowed.

Pass D: #15 in the country @ 186.9 PYPG (2nd in the AAC behind UCF). Tied for 3rd fewest passing TDs allowed with 9.

3rd down conversion %: #20 in the country @ 35% (2nd in the AAC behind ECU). I admit, I thought this was much worse.

Total D: #25 in the country @ 347.1 YPG (4th in the AAC). #1 was Clemson @ 259.6 YPG

Sacks per game: Tied for #54 in the country @ 2.25 per game.

Rushing D: #59 in the country @ 160.2 RYPG (6th in the AAC)

COACH RHULE INTERVIEW

Listen to his season-ending interview with the media and you'll realize that we're headed in the right direction. He can be very inspirational, IMO.

He did say that the offensive line has to improve. Either he's being honest, which I think he is because the OLine is the key to the offense in every facet, or he doesn't want to throw P.J. under the bus. I think it's the former. You can't get a run game going without the OLine and you can't protect the QB without the OLine.

Overall, he said all the right things, and I'm already pumped for next season.

Temple's bowl situation

Considering that the remaining January 1 Bowls haven't been announced yet, the bowl landscape is very fluid right now.

That being said, the Military Bowl has expressed interest in Temple. As you know, the American Athletic Conference only has five guaranteed bowl bids for six bowl-eligible teams. The bowls are not required to choose the AAC teams based upon their record, though. So if the Military Bowl wanted to choose a 6-6 Temple over a 7-5 Houston, it could. The conference works hand in hand with the bowls when it comes to determining who goes where, however, so a sixth bowl spot would likely need to be negotiated with another bowl for the AAC to feel entirely comfortable with this. A number of things would need to fall into place for this to happen.

Just keeping you guys updated with what we're hearing.

This post was edited on 12/7 2:05 PM by Kyle Gauss

Our Bowl Game Trip

My wife and I suspected that the Tulane game would have to be our Bowl Game. Traveled to New Orleans, and had a chance to reconnect with Owlclub folks who also relocated. Nice Owlclub events, nice city, met some other real Temple Supporters. Looking forward to next season. Go Owls!

P.S. If you aren't already an Owlclub member, join in with us next year.

Think positively about missing a bowl game.

My Father always told me you have to play the hand you are dealt. Quit complaining and get to work addressing what you deem to be your deficiencies.

By missing the bowl it means Coach Rhule and the other Assistant Coaches can get their butts out on the road and recruit some O-linemen for this Temple Owl team!

They managed to address the D-back problem from a year ago. Let's see if they can find some big, tough and agile Diamonds out there for the Cherry & White O-line.

GO OWLS!!!

OLINE IN 2015

If Jaelin Robinson can play, I'd put him at LT and move Dion Dawkins inside to a guard spot. Imagine a line with Robinson at LT, Dawkins at LG, Friend at center, Aaron Ruff at RG and McHale or Semaj Reed or Leon Johnson at RT. I like Brendan McGowan, too, at guard.

That would be a much beefier line. I feel like Ahmed and Quinn were beaten up last night against Tulane, which just rushed up the middle.

ROMOND DELOATCH

The RS sophomore WR finally showed me something last night.

He had three receptions for 49 yards and the big TD. He had that 23-yard catch in which P.J. just threw the ball up and Deloatch went up and got it. It was a big play for a first down. We were way down on like the 10-yard line at that point, and that play gave some breathing room.

I really think he's freakishly athletic. If he can get focused and get stronger and faster, he could be a dominating player.

Coach Rhule statement

...which can be read at Owlsports.com was very classy. I wish we could have heard everything that Ken Harper said in his address to the team.
This team absolutely deserved to go to a bowl. Beating an SEC team, a top 25 team, only losing to two of the other confrence leaders by a late field goal ( Memphis ) and one score to another ( Cincy ), going 4-4 in the conference and 6-6 overall screams that they deserved to go bowling. Unlike Coach Rhule, though, I am pissed at AAC for selling the sixth spot for a bowl - very minor league.

Already itching for 9/6/2015. Hope team takes out frustration on Nits.

Go Owls !
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT