ADVERTISEMENT

TUFF Fund practice - Quick Impressions

jobecca

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2001
Ewing, NJ
www.jobecca.com
I was fortunate enough to attend the open practice for TUFF Fund contributors on Saturday. First of all, thank you to Andy and everyone who helped put it together. I thought the practice, and the event as a whole, was a success. Here are just a few really quick impressions. Note: I didn't specifically watch for every player...so if anyone else who was there wants to add their thoughts, go for it.

Quante Berry - He ran the point with poise and confidence during the scrimmage sessions that ended the practice. He looked stronger and also knocked down some open 3s.
Zion Stanford - He also ran some point during the scrimmages. Of course, he continued to drive the ball with his effective "old-school" style. And he seems to be looking for opportunities to improve his range.
Steve Settle III - He hit some big shots and looked like he bulked up since last year. There was just something about him that said, "quiet, effective leader." He seemed to be in the thick of things a lot and, to me, he clearly commands a fair amount of respect from his teammates.
Lynn Greer III - He looked effective in many of the drills. And, while he didn't stand out as much in the scrimmages, I've seen him enough to be very happy he is an Owl.
Dillon Battie - He had a couple of moments in the scrimmages that screamed "ATHLETE". I think we may see some jaws hitting the floor in the LC stands this coming season. And, since it was also a family practice, it was great to see Derrick in the building.
Jameel Brown - Shot it great in drills, and looked extremely confident.
Babatunde Durodola - He was the big surprise to me. I knew little and was really taken with his athleticism, motor and overall passion. I think he may be a real surprise for us. Looks like he has a solid fundamental understanding of footwork, which is great to see in a PF
Jamal Mashburn Jr - He had a quiet practice, yet showed some moves that made it clear that he knows how to get his shot and be a very effective scorer. I have no doubt he will be our go-to this season.
Aiden Tobiason - Sweet stroke and hit two big 3s that were key in his team winning one of the scrimmages. Honestly, what I liked most was that he played hard, every moment of every drill. Even on defensive drills, he was always moving his feet, active with his hands...and loud.
Matteo Picarelli - No surprises here. He hit some crazy shots in drills and will no doubt have a few moments in the coming season. I can't see him getting near the minutes he got last season, but his shooting will be needed at times and, in those times, we'll all be glad to have him.

Fisher met with us after the practice and continues to show that he is just a gifted, candid communicator. He has a way of making everyone feel part of something special, with absolutely no bullshit whatsoever. I've no doubt he is capable of engendering great trust with his coaches and players and inspiring them to run through walls for him. I'm not qualified to say whether this group will earn an invite to the Dance. However, I think this team is really deep and has the potential to swell the fan base this season. And, personally, I'm looking for progress...something that will allow the department to leverage success and build up a much more solid fundraising foundation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.