ADVERTISEMENT

Injury updates, part 2

John Di Carlo

OwlScoop.com Editor
Oct 1, 2001
Rod Carey said during today's media session that he does not expect running back Re'Mahn Davis and safety Benny Walls to play Thursday at USF, although it is worth noting that Walls did practice in full pads Tuesday.

"Nope, Benny won't be ready to go," Carey said. "He's one of the ones that won't be out there, so we're disappointed about that certainly, but Benny is working his rear end off to get back and has improved."

Regarding Davis, Carey said:

"I don't think he'll be ready to go. I think he's one of the ones that won't be ready to go, but he's a lot closer than I thought he was going to be, I'll tell you that, (with) the way he looked last week."

When I asked Carey if the injury he sustained came against UCF, Carey said, "Yeah. Lower body, lower leg. Just banged up. He's been fighting a little bit of that since, probably, Georgia Tech, so that game certainly took it out of him."

When Sam Neumann asked Rod about who would get the bulk of the carries in addition to Jager Gardner, Carey mentioned redshirt-junior Tayvon Ruley (he had 4 carries for 7 yards late in the UCF loss) and said that maybe freshman Edward Saydee could see some time, too.

I asked Carey about the status of Kyle Dobbins, and Carey said he "just had completed his first week of full practice. So he had been out for an extended period of time, so he's just getting some confidence on it. He'd certainly be there in an emergency role for this game."

As Carey said yesterday during the American's coaches' call, center Matt Hennessy and defensive tackle Ifeanyi Maijeh have practiced all week and are expected to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News