ADVERTISEMENT

Could Temple take two quarterbacks in the 2025 class?

John Di Carlo

OwlScoop.com Editor
Oct 1, 2001
I talked Saturday to Romelo Tables, the quarterback from Shabazz High School who recently took an official visit to Temple.

He told me that he wanted to commit, but that Stan Drayton told him he would have to wait to do so.

"On the visit, I had a conversation with Coach Drayton, and as of right now, they have five quarterbacks on their roster," Tables told me, "and a spot isn't really open right now, so we have to wait a little bit closer to season time, to see if somebody leaves or if anything changes in that room.

"So as of right now, I couldn't really commit, unfortunately, because I really wanted to find a spot there and make it home. But it is what it is. I appreciate them having a conversation with me because they kept it honest with me. But it's still an open opportunity. So I still want to see my options, but they're still high on my board, if not No. 1."

So, yes, Temple does have five quarterbacks on its roster, if you count walk-on Patrick Keller, whom I think the staff legitimately does like. But aside from him, you have the four scholarship guys in Evan Simon, Forrest Brock, Tyler Douglas and incoming freshman Chris Dietrich.

The educated/logical guess here is that the coaches were waiting on Camren Boykin's decision when they talked to Tables. With Boykin announcing his verbal commitment today, you now have five scholarship QBs on the board.

Could someone leave? Perhaps. Simon has two years left, as does Brock, and Douglas has four. I've also been told that the staff thinks highly enough of Dietrich to give him a long look this summer in preseason camp and that it's not a foregone conclusion that he'll just be brought along slowly and buried on the depth chart.

But it appears Temple is comfortable with a maximum of five QBs and, unless something changes, that means they don’t have a spot for Tables. None of the current quarterbacks could enter the portal until December. If they wanted to leave, they would have to go the JUCO route or just leave football for a year.

Reactions: templefanowl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News